a chill/shiver runs up/down someone's spineidiom
Definition of a chill/shiver runs up/down someone's spine
—used to say that someone feels very thrilled, frightened, etc. A shiver runs up my spine when I listen to a beautiful Beethoven symphony.A (cold) shiver ran down my spine when I heard his angry voice.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- What's that Smell?! Quiz Take the quiz
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game