a bull in a china shopnoun phrase
Definition of a bull in a china shop
: a person who breaks things or who often makes mistakes or causes damage in situations that require careful thinking or behavior As a politician, he was a bull in a china shop and often had to apologize for his rough speech.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game