a barrel of laughsnoun phrase
Definition of a barrel of laughs
: someone or something that is very funny —often used in negative statements or in an ironic way to describe someone or something that is not really funny Several people have lost their jobs recently, so the office isn't exactly a barrel of laughs these days.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game