variants: or less commonly Cymbelstern or Cimbelstern
plural Zimbelsterns also Cymbelsterns or Cimbelsterns
Definition of Zimbelstern
: a circular arrangement of small untuned bells usually attached to an organ that when activated ring continuously as they are struck by rotating strikers The Zimbelstern sets into rotation a star-shaped disc attached to the central facade pipe; little bells suspended from the corners of this star are caused to tinkle by the rotating motion.— Hans Klotz, The Organ Handbook, 1969
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game