variants: or formerly Northern Rhodesia
Definition of Zambia
landlocked country in southern Africa; capital Lusaka area 290,585 square miles (752,615 square kilometers), population 13,070,000
Note: Formerly a British protectorate, Zambia has been an independent republic within the Commonwealth of Nations since 1964.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game