variants: or earlier Jugoslavia
Definition of Yugoslavia
1 former country in southern Europe on the Balkan Peninsula consisting of Serbia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Macedonia
Note: Yugoslavia was established 1918 as a kingdom (the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes) and became a federal republic in 1945 with Belgrade as its capital.
2 — see serbia and montenegro
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- What's that Smell?! Quiz Take the quiz
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game