variants: or earlier Jugoslavia
Definition of Yugoslavia
1 former country in southern Europe on the Balkan Peninsula consisting of Serbia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Macedonia
Note: Yugoslavia was established 1918 as a kingdom (the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes) and became a federal republic in 1945 with Belgrade as its capital.
2 — see serbia and montenegro
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game