Definition of Yorkshire
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a white swine of any of several breeds or strains originated in Yorkshire, England
Definition of Yorkshire (Entry 2 of 2)
1 or York \ ˈyȯrk \ former county of northern England roughly bounded by the North Sea on the east, the Humber River on the south, the Pennine Chain on the west, and the county of Durham on the north and comprising the city of York and the (former) administrative counties of East Rid*ing \ ˈrī-diŋ \ (capital Beverley), North Riding (capital Northallerton), and West Riding (capital Wakefield)
Note: Yorkshire was England's largest county in area until the 1974 reorganization.
2 historical region of northern England roughly equivalent to the former county and centered on present-day North Yorkshire
Keep scrolling for more
Words from Greek and Latin Quiz
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary in April 2019
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 4/19/19
- Aww it's So 'Adorkable'
- 'MacGyver': The Verb
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game