variants: or Yenan
Definition of Yan'an
city in the province of Shaanxi, northeast central China population 337,000
Note: Yan'an served as headquarters of the Chinese Communists during the Sino-Japanese War (1937–45) and the subsequent civil war (1945–49).
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game