Xinjiang Uygurgeographical name
variants: or Sinkiang Uighur, often shortened to Xinjiang or Sinkiang
Definition of Xinjiang Uygur
region (formerly a province) of western China between the Kunlun and Altai mountains and bordering Mongolia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and the disputed territory of Jammu and Kashmir; capital Ürümqi area 635,829 square miles (1,653,154 square kilometers), population 21,815,815
Note: In area, Xinjiang Uygur is the largest administrative unit of China.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game