Xan·thi·dae | \ ˈzan(t)thəˌdē\
Definition of Xanthidae
: the largest family of crabs (superfamily Brachyrhyncha) comprising chiefly small littoral or shallow water marine crabs with oval carapaces armed with spines or lobes along the anterolateral margin and including the edible stone and coral crabs
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game