Definition of Willgerodt reaction
: a reaction usually of an aryl alkyl ketone ArCO(CH2)n H (as acetophenone) with an aqueous solution of yellow ammonium polysulfide in a heated sealed tube to yield an amide Ar(CH2)n −1CONH2 (as alpha-phenyl-acetamide) substituted terminally by aryl
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game