Definition of Westphalia
region of western Germany bordering on the Netherlands east of the Rhine River — see north rhine-westphalia
Note: Westphalia includes the Ruhr valley and was a province of Prussia from 1816 to 1945 with Münster as its capital.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game