Definition of Welsh mortgage
: an obsolete mortgage in which the mortgagee may keep the rents and profits of the estate in satisfaction of interest but cannot enforce payment of the principal and the mortgagor can redeem at any time by payment of the principal — compare living pledge
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?