Vul·pec·u·la | \ ˌvəl-ˈpe-kyə-lə\
Definition of Vulpecula
(Entry 1 of 2)
taxonomic synonym of alopias
Definition of Vulpecula (Entry 2 of 2)
: a dim northern constellation that is visible between the constellations of Cygnus and Sagitta and that is represented by the figure of a fox Lying 16,000 light-years distant in the constellation Vulpecula astride the summer Milky Way, this object is better known as the “millisecond pulsar.” It is the most rapidly rotating stellar body in the known universe and is possibly the most accurate clock as well.— David H. Smith, Sky & Telescope, October 1983
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game