Definition of Volans
: a southern constellation that is visible between the constellation of Carina and the southern celestial pole and that is represented by the figure of a flying fish Pieter Dirckszoon Keyzer and Frederick de Houtman, a pair of 16th-century Dutch navigators, charted the southern sky. Twelve of the new star patterns they devised eventually became part of the official count. These late-model constellations symbolized exotic or legendary creatures of southern lands and seas—such as Grus (the Crane), Pavo (the Peacock), Tucana (the Toucan), and Volans (the Flying Fish)—and so heralded the Golden Age of Exploration while maintaining the tradition of celestial birds and beasts inherited from the Greeks.— E. C. Krupp, Sky And Telescope, May 2004
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game