Virgin Islands of the United Statesgeographical name
variants: or U.S. Virgin Islands or Virgin Islands of the U.S.
Definition of Virgin Islands of the United States
the western islands of the Virgin Islands group including Saint Croix, Saint John, and Saint Thomas area 132 square miles (343 square kilometers), population 106,405 — see danish west indies
Note: The Virgin Islands of the United States are a U.S. territory whose capital is Charlotte Amalie, on Saint Thomas Island.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game