Virgin Islands of the United Statesgeographical name
variants: or U.S. Virgin Islands or Virgin Islands of the U.S.
Definition of Virgin Islands of the United States
the western islands of the Virgin Islands group including Saint Croix, Saint John, and Saint Thomas area 132 square miles (343 square kilometers), population 106,405 — see danish west indies
Note: The Virgin Islands of the United States are a U.S. territory whose capital is Charlotte Amalie, on Saint Thomas Island.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game