Definition of Vietnam
Note: The state of Vietnam, including Tonkin and northern Annam, was set up in 1945–46. Along with southern Annam and Cochin China, it became an associated state of the French Union in 1950–54. After civil war, Vietnam was divided at the 17th parallel into the republics of North Vietnam (which had Hanoi as its capital) and South Vietnam (which had Saigon as its capital) from 1954 to 1975. North and South Vietnam were reunited in 1975.
see also vietnamese
Keep scrolling for more
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game