United States of Americageographical name
Definition of United States of America
Note: A native or inhabitant of the United States of America is usually referred to as an American. Terms that are used infrequently or in special contexts include Columbian and United Statesian, while Yankee is sometimes used by people from other countries.
see also american entry 1
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game