United Arab Emiratesgeographical name
Definition of United Arab Emirates
country in northeastern Arabia on the Persian Gulf between Qatar and Oman capital Abu Dhabi area 32,278 square miles (83,600 square kilometers), population 9,701,000
Note: The United Arab Emirates is a republic composed of seven sheikhdoms (Abu Dhabi, ʽAjman, Al Fujayrah, Ash Shariqah, Dubayy, Ra's al Khaymah, and Umm al Qaywayn) formerly under British protection.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game