Definition of Unionidae
: a very large family of freshwater mussels (suborder Submytilacea) having a pearly often roughly sculptured shell with a thick epidermis and larvae that pass through a glochidium stage and being represented in nearly all parts of the world but chiefly in North America where the nacreous shells of many of them are used for button making
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game