Definition of Unionidae
: a very large family of freshwater mussels (suborder Submytilacea) having a pearly often roughly sculptured shell with a thick epidermis and larvae that pass through a glochidium stage and being represented in nearly all parts of the world but chiefly in North America where the nacreous shells of many of them are used for button making
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game