Tun·gan | \ (ˈ)təŋ¦gän, (ˈ)tu̇ŋ-\
variants: or less commonly Dungan \ (ˈ)də- , (ˈ)du̇- \
plural Tungan or Tungans also Dungan or Dungans
Definition of Tungan
1a : a people of Turkestan found also in large numbers in Kansu Province and the Sining region of Chinghai Province in northwest China
b : a member of such people
2 : the language of the Tungan people
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?