Trem·el·la·les | \ -ā(ˌ)lēz\
Definition of Tremellales
: an order of basidiomycetous fungi (subclass Heterobasidiomycetes) having the basidiocarp well developed and varying from gelatinous to waxy or even horny in texture especially when dry and being mostly saprophytes but including some parasites of mosses, other fungi, insects, or vascular plants — see auriculariaceae , tremellaceae
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game