Definition of Transkei
former enclave in the Republic of South Africa set aside for black people as part of a government policy of racial segregation
Note: Transkei was nominally granted independence in 1976 with Umtata as its capital but was reincorporated into South Africa in 1994.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game