Definition of Tortola
island in the British West Indies area 21 square miles (54 square kilometers), population 23,500
Note: Tortola is the chief island of the British Virgin Islands and the site of its capital, Road Town .
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game