Definition of Tortola
island in the British West Indies area 21 square miles (54 square kilometers), population 23,500
Note: Tortola is the chief island of the British Virgin Islands and the site of its capital, Road Town .
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game