Til·ia | \ ˈtilēə\
Definition of Tilia
: a genus (the type of the family Tiliaceae) of trees that are native in temperate regions and often planted as shade trees, that are distinguished by having cordate leaves, a winglike bract coalescent with the peduncle, indehiscent fruit with one or two seeds, and soft easily carved wood, and that have a strong hybridizing tendency — see linden
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game