Definition of Thames
1 \ ˈtemz , ˈthāmz , ˈtāmz \ river (actually an estuary) 15 miles (24 kilometers) long in southeastern Connecticut flowing south into Long Island Sound
3 \ ˈtemz \ river over 200 miles (322 kilometers) long in southern England flowing from the Cotswold Hills in Gloucestershire east into the North Sea — see isis
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game