Texas red oaknoun
variants: or less commonly Texas oak
Definition of Texas red oak
: a usually small to medium-sized oak (Quercus texana) of dry Texas uplands having a reddish brown bark, deeply lobed leaves, and usually solitary short-stalked biennial acorns
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?