Tec·to·spon·dy·li | \ ˌtektōˈspändəˌlī\
Definition of Tectospondyli
in some classifications
: an order or other division of elasmobranch fishes typically having tectospondylic vertebrae and comprising the spiny dogfishes and related forms and the angelfish (genus Squatina) and formerly also the rays and sawfishes — compare batoidei , cyclospondyli
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?