Definition of Syria
1 ancient region of southwestern Asia bordering on the Mediterranean Sea and covering modern Syria, Lebanon, Israel, and Jordan
3 country in southwestern Asia bordering on the Mediterranean Sea; capital Damascus area 71,498 square miles (185,180 square kilometers), population 21,000,000
Note: Syria was a republic from 1944 to 1958 and became one again in 1961. From 1958 to 1961, it was a province of the United Arab Republic.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game