Definition of Surinam cherry
1a : a Barbados cherry (Malpighia glabra) with rose to purple flowers and deep red fruits
b : the edible aromatic fruit of this tree
2a : a Brazilian tree (Eugenia uniflora) often cultivated in California and Florida for its spicy red fruit that resembles a cherry
b : the fruit of this tree
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?