Stron·gy·lo·cen·tro·tus | \ -ˈtrōtəs\
Definition of Strongylocentrotus
: a widely distributed genus of sea urchins (family Strongylocentrotidae) that includes the common green urchin (S. drobachiensis) of the North American coasts and the small purple urchin (S. purpuratus) of the Pacific coast as well as other common forms
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game