Sri Lankageographical name
Definition of Sri Lanka
country in the Indian Ocean off the southeastern coast of India; coextensive with the island of Ceylon; capital Colombo area 25,332 square miles (65,610 square kilometers), population 22,577,000
Note: Sri Lanka is an independent republic in the Commonwealth of Nations.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game