Squa·loi·dea | \ skwāˈlȯidēə\
Definition of Squaloidea
1 : a suborder of Pleurotremata comprising those sharks (such as the spiny dogfishes) that have a compressed or rounded body but in some respects (as in adaptation to bottom-dwelling habits) approach the skates and rays — compare galeoidea , notidanoidea
2 in some classifications : a suborder or other division of elasmobranch fishes comprising the typical sharks — compare squatina
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game