Spanish oyster plantnoun
Definition of Spanish oyster plant
: a tall biennial golden thistle (Scolymus hispanicus) of southwestern Europe that is sometimes cultivated for its edible roots which resemble but are larger and milder than those of salsify, for its foliage which is eaten like that of the cardoon, and for its flowers which are used as a substitute for saffron
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?