Definition of Spanish broom
1 : a nearly leafless shrub (Spartium junceum) of the family Leguminosae of southern Europe and the Canary Islands that has green flexible twigs which are similar to rushes, are used in basketry, and yield a fiber and that has handsome fragrant flowers which yield a yellow dye
2 : a broom (Genista hispanica) of southwestern Europe having golden yellow flowers in heads
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?