Songhai Empiregeographical name
variants: or Songhay Empire
Definition of Songhai Empire
a former Muslim empire that was established circa 1000 and was centered on the Niger River town of Gao (now in Mali)
Note: At its greatest extent, early in the 16th century, the Songhai Empire stretched from the Atlantic into present-day Niger and Nigeria. It fell to Moroccan forces in 1591.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 12/6/19
- Getting with the ‘Program’ (or ‘Programme’)
- Why Do We Say Teams Get a 'Bye'?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/29/19
Ask the Editors
- Semantic Drift Quiz Take the quiz
- A Thanksgiving Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game