So·le·nos·to·mus | \ ˌsōləˈnästəməs\
Definition of Solenostomus
: a genus of small fishes (family Solenostomidae) of the tropical Indo-Pacific having a short compressed body and a long tubular snout and a female that carries her eggs in a pouch formed by the coalescence of the pelvic fins with the body
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game