Smi·lo·don | \ ˈsmīləˌdän\
Definition of Smilodon
: a genus of saber-toothed cats (subfamily Machairodontinae) of the Pliocene and Pleistocene usually attaining the size of a tiger or lion and having upper canines that extend 7 inches (18 centimeters) or more below the lower jaw and a gape of usually greater than 90 degrees
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game