Smar·ta | \ ˈsmärtə\
Definition of Smarta
: a member of a large Hindu sect of Brahmans founded in the eighth century, guided chiefly by the traditions of the smriti, holding the doctrine of Advaita, worshiping all the principal deities equally, and thriving most in south India
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game