Definition of Sligo
1 county in the northern part of the republic of Ireland; in northern Connacht area 693 square miles (1795 square kilometers), population 65,393
2 town and port on Sligo Bay (an inlet of the Atlantic) area population 19,452
Note: The town of Sligo serves as capital of the county of Sligo.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game