variants: or less commonly Siva \ ˈsi-və , ˈshi- , ˈsē- , ˈshē- \
Definition of Shiva
(Entry 1 of 2)
variants: or less commonly shivah or Shiva or Shivah
Definition of shiva (Entry 2 of 2)
: a traditional seven-day period of mourning the death of a family member that is observed in Jewish homes Details about the funeral and shiva have not yet been finalized.— Alyssa Fisher The observance of Shiva is traced to the dawn of Jewish history. The Torah relates that Joseph mourned the death of Jacob his father for seven days.— Zalman Goldstein —often used in the phrase sit shiva We're going to say kaddish, sit shiva and eat poundcake for a week— Gary David Goldberg She's sitting shivah for her father. She doesn't want to be disturbed.— Etgar Keret … the comedy centers on a dysfunctional family that is forced to reunite when their father requests they sit Shivah for seven days following his death.— Dave Trumbore
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game