Definition of Serpens
: a northern constellation that is visible in two parts on either side of the constellation Ophiuchus and that is represented by the figure of a serpent in the grasp of a man represented by Ophiuchus
Note: The constellation Serpens is divided into two separate sections, called Serpens Caput (the “head of the serpent”) and Serpens Cauda (the “tail of the serpent”).The main object of interest in Serpens Caput is the globular cluster M5, down in the south of the region, near the border with Virgo. — Adrian Berry, Daily Telegraph (London), 1 June 2009 Their latest discovery is a double star in the planetary nebula cataloged as Abell 41, located in the constellation Serpens Cauda. These stars orbit each other in only 2 hours and 43 minutes, indicating that they are extremely close together.— D. E. Thomsen, Science News, 16 Apr. 1983
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game