Definition of Senegal
1 river 1015 miles (1633 kilometers) long in western Africa flowing from Fouta Djallon northwest and west into the Atlantic
2 country in western Africa on the Atlantic; a republic of the French Community, formerly a territory of French West Africa; capital Dakar area 75,955 square miles (196,722 square kilometers), population 15,021,000
Note: Senegal surrounds the country of Gambia on the north, south, and east.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game