Definition of Sedna
: a probable dwarf planet that orbits beyond the orbit of Neptune with a mean distance from the sun of about 520 astronomical units (48.3 billion miles)] and a diameter of approximately [870 miles (1400 kilometers)] [The planetoid] Sedna at its closest approach to the sun is still two and half times as far away as Pluto. Its orbit will eventually take it more than 12 times that far away, into a dim exurb of the solar system where the sun looks more like an ordinary star.— Joel Achenback, National Geographic, December 2004
Note: Sedna is believed to qualify as a dwarf planet under the current definition of that term, but precise identification of its characteristics is made difficult by its distance from the Earth.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game