Scol·y·tus | \ -lətəs\
Definition of Scolytus
: the type genus of Scolytidae comprising numerous small bark beetles of which some are destructive to economically important plants and one (S. multistriatus) is a vector of the fungus that causes Dutch elm disease
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game