Schi·zoph·y·ta | \ skə̇ˈzäfətə\
Definition of Schizophyta
in some classifications
: a division comprising the blue-green algae and bacteria (classes Myxophyceae and Schizomycetes) and characterized by unicellular or loosely colonial and often filamentous organization, by lack of a readily identifiable condensed nucleus, and by reproduction chiefly or wholly by fission
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game