Definition of Scheat
: a red giant variable star of the second magnitude that is seen in the constellation of Pegasus The top one is named Scheat, from the Arabic for “shin.” It's an orange-red giant 200 light-years away, about 95 times larger than our sun and shining 300 times as brightly.— Alan M. MacRobert, Boston Globe, 5 Sept. 2009
— called also Beta Pegasi
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game