Scapa Flowgeographical name
Definition of Scapa Flow
sea basin in the Orkney Islands, northern Scotland, providing ship achorage protected by several of the islands and giving access to the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean
Note: Scapa Flow was used as the base for the British fleet patrolling the North Sea during both world wars.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game