Sap·o·ta·ce·ae | \ ˌsapəˈtāsēˌē\
Definition of Sapotaceae
: a family of trees or shrubs (order Ebenales) that are widely distributed in tropical regions and have milky juice, coriaceous leaves, and axillary flowers with stamens in two or three whorls borne on the corolla and often in alternation with staminodia and a superior 2-celled to many-celled ovary followed by often edible fleshy fruits
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game